Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I keep telling people that I am just not good at keeping up with blogs and this just goes to show that I wasn't lying...it's been about a week and a half or so since my last entry...I'm sorry...I'm working on it and I swear that I can get better...I'LL GET HELP! (Sorry...past memory coming back to haunt me...)uhm....let's get started....

Last week (once again, I apologize), I mentioned a few topics that I was going to go over in future entry's...well, seems like today is that time...

Last week, one of the topics that I mentioned dealt with the Brownsville Urban System or B.U.S. as it is so lovingly coined. Well, the topic of today's discussion is this...as a major city in the Rio Grande Valley, why is it that a majority of the stops for public transportation here in Brownsville is rather deplorable...I used to be an avid proponent of public transportation when I was a student attending the University of Texas - San Antonio and I understand how it feels to be waiting for a transit system while braving the elements but the city of Brownsville is ridiculous for the amount of places that people have to wait in the open sun, to the side of major roadways and UNPROTECTED from anything...

I understand that B.U.S. has expanded its' coverage of the city and surrounding areas and they recently constructed the Northside Transfer Station but what about the other areas of this city? Have we overlooked Southmost? Also, why is it that there are so many places in this city that the riders (which help accumulate nearly 1 million miles of travel) must wait in the open elements and just off the sides of the roads? I don't understand this...

We, as a city, should let our voices be heard about this issue. I mean, let's think about it from the viewpoint of a tourist...driving around, we notice that there are a good amount of people waiting around on the side of the road or in the middle of nowhere while waiting for a bus...what does that say about the community that we are visiting? Now, I'm not saying to go and spend a couple of millions to make every stop have state-of-the-art stops and all but I'm saying that we should at least ask for some benches or something. If you need examples, drive down towards the airport or just look at the stop behind Stars Drive In on Price Road.

This is my corner...what's yours?

1 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

test

 

Post a Comment

<< Home