Thursday, April 27, 2006

Welcome and salutations to each and every individual who reads this deliciously interesting (according to me) revue and open forum on topics concerning Brownsville, TX and the Rio Grande Valley...I hope to write as often as possible about topics that are near and dear to my still-beating-yet-not-insured heart...Brownsville, TX.

Any and everyone is welcome to write and discuss their viewpoints about events and topics that are taking place in this wonderful "city" (we're getting there....not there just yet but we're getting there) that is home to a diverse population of people that are simply trying to get by...the only thing is that I have a few Rules to abide by and I will make sure to apply them to myself as well (most of the time)...

#1. No Racial slurs or anything of that nature...that just doesn't help anything when you get some biggot with an IQ equal to that of the amount of calories that come in a regular bottle of Ozarka water.
#2. Keep it on the grounds of actual information and that it has a point! There are WAY too many sites that have people jibber-jabbing back and forth about things that a irrelevant to one another. I don't care if you think that the new Pope is the spawn of Satan and that is why North Korea has a short dictator...just doesn't make any sense (but if you can prove it, well thenn by all means....)
#3. This is about Brownsville and the Rio Grande Valley...we really don't need to know how people in Madison, WI deal with their overbearing epidimic of U of W - Madison T-Shirts that aren't selling at their local Barnes and Noble. Once again, if it makes sense to us (like, how do we sell all of the extra UTB/TSC shirts from OUR local Barnes and Noble?) don't write it but if it does, then GO RIGHT AHEAD.

Ok, now that that is out of the way and all...time for my first entry...

I was reading a interesting post on Brownsville Talk (http://brownsvilletx.blogspot.com/) about the need for a new Convention Center here in Brownsville. The article discussed a variety of options and venues that would be a suitable venture here as well as an appropriate size to accomodate a decent amount of people. Here's what I have to say to it --- GOOD IDEA! Now before anyone, especially Tony Lehmann, takes my support as any form of criticism, I want to let you know that I agree with you whole-heartedly. I feel that this is a great idea since the newest Events Center that was built on Paredes Line Road cannot accomodate anything that would be major. Yes, it does have a share of events that are very entertaining and informative but it doesn't match up to the convention centers of South Padre Island, McAllen, Hidalgo (especially since they have the Dodge Arena) and other cities that are nearby. We need something larger!

Now, if you don't know me, then you'll learn VERY quickly that I am a giant proponent for the use of existing buildings that are somewhat vacated due to past problems -- whether it be financial, ownership/tenant, etc...I am also a FRIM believer in the development of an arena for "deeper" South Texas. Yes, we (RGV-wise) have one in Hidalgo that is doing very well but we, as a county and as a region, can support another arena or convention center. I feel that the city of Brownsville should look into the creation of an arena that could possibly hold another sports franchise as well as the possibility of venturing with UTB/TSC to create a brand new men's/women's basketball program that would be housed in the arena. While we're at it, why don't we make it home to the UTB/TSC Women's volleyball team and the future Men's volleyball team as well as the FUTURE Men's/Women's HOCKEY TEAM?! C'mon people! we gotta start thinking LARGE from now on...we as a community can do it! I mean, hell, Matamoros has something like 3-4 decent size arenas (if my information is correct) and they have that somewhat brand new Estadio Olimpico...rather nice I must say.

These are just a few of my ideas/suggestions..take them as you will...anyhoot (I say that alot), let me know what you all out there in Internet land think and drop me a comment...

This is my corner....what's yours?

2 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger TonyL said...

Thanks for the support on a new convention center. It's definately needed here in B'ville. Also, thanks for the invite to your blog.

I need to update my blog but I've been very busy the last few months but as soon as the semester is over at UTB, I'll start anew on posting articles.

Laterz,

TonyL

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to be the hip thing, being Hispanic. It reminds me of when Woodstock happened and everyone put a peace sticker on their Volkswagon window, or when all of those social hippies started wearing cowboy hats ahter Urban Cowboy hit the big screen. Everyone wants to be loved and all should have a time to shine however, I sense a racism growing among a group of folks who were just plain folks not long ago. Racial pride IS racism. A pride that preaches the idea of the inferiority of others is a silly thing if not down right ugly. I wonder what the next chic movement will be? How about just celebrating being alive and caring for all living things? Your blog is interesting because it seems to reflect that inner turmoil that is afflicting many Latin Americans today. Torn between two lands, wanting to belong to something special. Be happy you belong to the Cosmos. That is the ever-hip scene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home